After the cathedral, this is the oldest church in the city and among the best examples of Romanesque-Pugliese architecture. It was founded in 1074 and the Cirignano, Pacciano and Zappino hamlet inhabitants contributed to the costs. They were allowed the right to use this church when they transferred inside the city walls. In exchange, they were granted the use of the church, a symbol of prestige in the town, and the privilege of having baptisms every day (at that time baptisms were only held in cathedrals or at Easter).
The church was dedicated to Saint Adoeno Dado, the Bishop of Rouen and Norman protector. In fact, according to tradition Norman soldiers helped build the church.
The Church of San Adoeno has a cusped facade with a low gable crowned with an eagle.
The centre of the facade hosts a rose window surrounded by four lions and a statue of St. Adoeno.
Worth noting, the baptismal font in archaic shaped stone of obvious Byzantine influence with embossed figures of Christ blessing his people.